SAN MARZANO TOMATOE: DOP SUPERFOOD FROM ITALY TO AMERICA, THANKS TO REGA IMPORT
When we are talking about “superfood1” we need to talk about San Marzano tomatoe DOP(SMD) with their rich flavor and unique characteristics, have become a culinary treasure globally. Originating from the fertile soils of the Agro Sarnese-Nocerino region in Italy, these tomatoes have transcended borders and found a special place in American cuisine. This article explores the journey of San Marzano DOP2 tomatoes from Italy to America3, delving into their essence as a symbol of healthy eating.
This autentic naturale superfood from Italy come in USA thanks a excellence work of Rega Usa Import.
The Origin Storyof San Marzano Tomatoe:
Basically San Marzano recognized by its elongated shape and meaty texture, is a cultivar of plum tomatoes. Volcanic soil and ideal climate of the Agro Sarnese-Nocerino4 region (in south Italy) contribute to the distinct taste and quality of these tomatoes.
The territorial characteristics and nutritional benefits give the superfood’s fruit of the San Marzano plant an elongated, slightly inclined shape common and typical to farmers in southern Italy Protected by the “Protected designation of origin” (DOP) status, San Marzano tomatoes are a testament to the importance of terroir in creating exceptional food products.
Superfood Health Benefits and Nutritional Value:
SMD are not only celebrated for their culinary excellence but also for their health benefits. Packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, these tomatoes contribute to overall well-being. The lycopene content, known for its antioxidant properties, has been linked to various health advantages, including heart health and cancer prevention.
With DOP (Protected designation of origin) designation are considered a healthy choice. Here are several reasons why:
- Nutrient-Rich: San Marzano tomatoes are rich in essential nutrients, including vitamins (such as vitamin C), minerals (like potassium), and antioxidants. These nutrients contribute to overall health and well-being.
- Low in Calories: Tomatoes, in general, are low in calories, making them a suitable option for those looking to manage their caloric intake. They can be part of a balanced and calorie-conscious diet.
- Lycopene5 Content: San Marzano tomatoes are known for their high lycopene content. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant associated with various health benefits, including heart health and potential anti-cancer properties.
- Low in Sodium: this tomatoes can be used in various culinary applications, from sauces to salads. Using these tomatoes in cooking allows for flavor enhancement without relying on excessive salt, contributing to a lower sodium intake.
- Supports Mediterranean Diet Principles: San Marzano, align with the principles of the Mediterranean diet, which is known for promoting heart health and overall well-being. This diet emphasizes fresh, seasonal, and locally sourced ingredients, with tomatoes playing a significant role.
It’s important to note that while SMD themselves are a healthy choice, how they are used in recipes also matters. Preparing meals with minimal added sugars, unhealthy fats, and excessive sodium will maximize the health benefits of these tomatoes. Incorporating a variety of nutrient-rich foods into your diet and maintaining a balanced lifestyle are key components of overall health.
Versatility in the Kitchen:
The American Culinary Adoption:
Basically this have earned their place as a kitchen staple due to their versatility. From crafting the perfect marinara sauce to topping NAPOLITAN pizzas approved to Napolitan Pizza Verace, perfect “pasta and pomodoro” or pasta with meatballs. These tomatoes enhance the flavor profile of numerous recipes. Their sweet, tangy taste and low acidity make them a preferred choice for those who appreciate the nuances of fine dining.
In recent years, a superfood San Marzano tomatoe have gained immense popularity in American kitchens. Renowned chefs and home cooks alike seek out these tomatoes for their robust flavor and low seed count. Whether used in sauces, soups, or salads, San Marzano tomatoes bring a touch of Mediterranean6 authenticity to American dishes.
From Field to Table: The Essence of Healthy Eating:
This superfood san marzano tomatoe symbolize more than just a culinary ingredient; they represent a commitment to healthy eating. From the sun-drenched fields of Italy to American dining tables, these tomatoes embody the essence of a Mediterranean diet, emphasizing fresh, seasonal, and locally sourced ingredients. It is a base product to develop almost of italian recipes like simple pasta, topping for pizza or also used to make a Bloody Mary7!
San Marzano DOP tomatoes have transcended their Italian origins to become a beloved ingredient in American kitchens and superfood diets. Their journey showcases the universal appeal of high-quality, nutritious food. As more individuals embrace the essence of healthy eating, San Marzano tomatoes stand as a flavorful ambassador, linking the rich culinary traditions of Italy with the diverse and vibrant food culture of America. Rega Usa Import is exclusive importer of Rega SMD, from Agriconserve Strianese, one of the most experienced and oldest tomato canning companies in southern Italy precisly from Striano, Napoli.
TIPS to know AUTENTIC
for more info about San Marzano dop there
- Superfood is a marketing term for food claimed to confer health benefits resulting from an exceptional nutrient density. The term is not commonly used by experts, dietitians and nutrition scientists, most of whom dispute that particular foods have the health benefits cl ↩︎
- DOP mark (or Protected Designation of Origin [PDO] in English) “is to protect the reputation of the regional foods and eliminate the unfair competition and misleading of consumers by non-genuine products, which may be of inferior quality or of different flavor. ↩︎
- United States is called in europe in “America” way ↩︎
- Agro – Nocerino – Sarnese is a complex of small town in south italy, precisly in Campania. ↩︎
- LycopeneLycopene is a type of organic pigment called a carotenoid. It is related to beta-carotena and gives some vegetables and fruits (e.g., tomatoes) a red color.
Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant that might help protect cells from damage. Lycopene is used for hight blood pressure, high cholesterol, cancer, and many other conditions. ↩︎
- The Mediterranean Sea (/ˌmɛdɪtəˈreɪniən/ MED-ih-tə-RAY-nee-ən) is a sea connected to the Atlantic Ocean, ↩︎
- The Bloody Mary is one of the world’s best-known cocktails ↩︎